Protected by Copyscape Unique Content Check

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

What's He Really Thinking?: How to Be a Relational Genius with the Man in Your Life

by Paula Rinehart
I approached this book with curiosity and trepidation. As a teacher of psychology, I was looking for the latest, valid research. As a Christian, I was looking to see if the author affirmed the value of women based on scripture. I was pleased to find both.
The basic assumption is that men and women think differently. Simple, yet astounding. I am reminded that, historically, children were considered little adults. Based on that assumption, a child could be sent to prison for stealing a loaf of bread. When Erik Erikson proclaimed that children think differently than adults, Albert Einstein said it took a genius to discover this. Sometimes the simple truths are the hardest to find and understand. In this case, it is that women and men think differently.
In an easy-to-read manner, the author conveys her years of experience as a counselor, a Christian and a researcher in an interesting narrative. Her observations apply to all relationships between men and women. She not only addresses the husband/wife relationship, but also a woman’s relationship to fathers, brothers, friends, boyfriends, etc.
Sidebars point out significant quotes. I don’t know how these were chosen because almost every sentence seems a homily in itself.  There were a few points that I found required a bit of dissecting to understand and one I disagreed with. I could tell you the exact page and statement, but then, that would take the need for you to think critically and prayfully for yourself.  ;-)
Definitely worth the read.

My copy of this book was provided by BookSneeze.com

No comments:

Post a Comment